Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mode of Transport

Since October 23rd, 2006 I have been riding my bike to work. I started a new job at a location that was much closer to home (2.1 miles) and I had the opportunity to stop driving my car to work. I took it.

So by changing jobs to a place that was closer (and getting a nice raise in the process), I stopped burning about 4 gallons of gas a week. That's 17.4 gallons a month or somewhere in the neighborhood of $50.

There's an environmental bonus in addition to saving money. By not burning the 17.4 gallons a month I was using going back and forth to work, I am putting out less greenhouse gases (17.4 gallons of gas equals approximately 314 pounds of CO2).

Also, by biking to work I am improving my cardiovascular health and general fitness level. I arrive at work energized and focused; ready to work. When I bike in the evening, I burn off the stress of the day and arrive home in a better mood.

As an added bonus my daughter goes to a school right on my path to work. It's about a third of a mile from home. We bike together to her school and then I head into work. On the way home I pick her up and we pedal home. It's some good father-daughter time.

It probably doesn't work out so neatly for everyone - a job that involves a raise and is close to home. But maybe the next time you look for a house or apartment you could take proximity to work and the availability of bike trails into account.

Even if the rent for this apartment is a bit more, it's probably worth it. Maybe paying $50 a month makes financial sense since you'll save that much in gas anyways. It may even be worth paying $100 a month more if you take into account that you could cancel that gym membership now that you're riding a bike every day. You weren't really using the gym anyways...

Now, to be honest, I don't ride my bike everyday. If it's going to rain on my way in to work I drive instead. I do have to maintain a professional appearance and showing up soaked doesn't count as 'professional' in most circles. On the other hand if it isn't going to rain until the evening I'll ride my bike. If I arrive home wet it doesn't reflect in my annual raise.

I ride through the winter, too. Admittedly the winters around here aren't that harsh, but going fast down a hill can get chilly.

No comments: